Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Name's Bond, Johnny5 Bond (Part IV)

I don't really know what told me to do it.

GD claimed that she screamed out, but I never heard her. I never heard anything. My eyes were closed, and I was still getting over trying to catch my breath. I had no indication whatsoever, just a feeling, like something telling me it needed to be done. So I did it.

I jumped.

Not a skip, not a hop, not even a test of my vertical ability, but a full out, James Bond style head first, dive-roll jump. I jumped for my life. And why would I do this? What would compel me to do something so ridiculous after an accident like that?

It turns out we weren't far enough down the hill for the next driver to be able to stop in time. The assumption was that he was speeding to, but who really knows. All I know, from what I've been told, is that the car went under me as I dove out of the way, smacking into the back of the car we had just been in, the one I had collapsed behind, and in jumping, I had avoided letting that driver make a J5 sandwich between two tons of steel.

And I never even opened my eyes.

As I hit the ground, I did another roll out and found myself on the other side of the road, laying in the grass, where I didn't move. I was a little tired and busted up. I had just looked death in the face twice, sneered, and said a big f*#@ you, but the battle had messed me up a bit.

GD came running over in a panic. "Are you ok? Ohmygod, are you ok, J5?"

"I'm fine, but it hurts a little. I've got this pain in my side," I said, also noticing that my breathing was still a little labored.

"That wasn't my fault, your car was IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!" Dude Driving screamed from the road. GD was getting freaked out, I could notice her voice shaking and would swear she was too. I had to step up, even though I was sprawled out on the floor.

"Who is that?" I yelled, having a feeling I knew the person.

"It's DD. Who are you?"

"I'm J5 man."

"Oh, shit, dude. That accident totally wasn't my fault."

"Dude, listen. We're all alive, you didn't kill me, and I think that's something to be thankful for. I don't really care about blame, I'm just glad we're all ok. Can we just be cool with that?"

And with that statement, DD comes over and plants one on me.

"Dude, I'm glad you're ok," he says, and walks away.

"Was he trying to pick me up? Does he expect a commitment now?" I said to GD, trying to lighten the situation. Laughing distractedly, I could hear she was a mess. I couldn't really see so well, as the shock and all other environmental situations had sort of given me a tunnel vision.

"Oh god, what do I do?" GD said.

"Alright," I said realizing I had to dictate at this point, "call the party. Let them know what happened. Be fast about it, don't get in a long discussion. Tell them we'll probably be heading to Norwalk hospital. Tell them to call my parents and let them know what's happening and that we're banged up but ok."

She hopped on her cell and did as instructed. I felt almost mean, but she really needed the guidance. A girl who typically was pretty tough was in a bad way, so I was just trying to make it simple and fast. I figured the cops would be there soon, and with Q&A on the horizon, we didn't have much time.

"Ok, I called the party. What happens now? Do I call the insurance company? Do I call my Dad? Oh god, I don't know what to do, I can't believe thisishappeningwhydidthis..."

"GD you need to chill out. Get a grip. You have to call your Dad now and let him know what happened. He's going to be upset, maybe even mad, but just try to be brief and let him know we're alive and ok."

"Ok. Ok."

As she hung up the phone, I thought about my situation. I figured I would was in for a long night, and I also was afraid that perhaps I was in worse form than I had admitted. The pain was getting worse, and cutting through whatever haze I had. I knew I was in for some hospital time, and I was getting concerned that maybe I had some internal injuries that weren't so mild. Somewhere in all of this, blue and red flashbulbs showed up, and the police rolled in.

"Here we go, GD. Keep calm, don't talk to much, and we'll get through this. It wasn't your fault."

I took a deep breath, winced, and prepared for what was to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home