Thursday, November 04, 2004

The Name's Bond, Johnny5 Bond (Part V)

Flashlights arrived in my face and I felt like I was at the bottom of a copper huddle. I couldn't really tell you what the landscape looked like, but I imagine it was pretty chaotic. It felt chaotic. GD was so tweaked out at this point, she was barely capable of proper communication. Maybe that was for the better at this point anyway.

"Can you get up, son?" one of the boys in blue asked.

"Not really, I'm kind of in pain. It hurts down here, and I'd rather just hold still if you don't mind."

"Not a problem. What happened here?"

"We crested the hill, slid out, and here we are. I also want to let you know I've been drinking tonight."

"Were you driving?"

"No, officer, I wasn't. My friend GD was driving, and she hasn't had anything to drink this evening. It looks like we just had a fluke accident."

Cop 2 decides he wants to exercise some authority. "Are you sure you weren't driving?"

"Yes, I'm quite sure."

Cop 3 leans down a little bit. He looked familiar to me, so being in a state lacking typical inhibition, I spoke up.

"Don't I know you? You're Well Know Cop, aren't you?"

"Yeah, that's me. Have we met before?"

"No, but I saw you in pursuit of a suspect a few years ago. You're a good driver."

He laughed. "Thanks kid. Are you ok?"

"I'm having some pain, but I think I'll manage."

"Well," WKC said, "the paramedics are on their way. Sit tight."

"GD, do you think I can have a cig? I could use one right now."

Kindly, and with some semblance of recognition, she replied.

"Sh ..sh... sure," and handed one over. After giving me a light, I reveled in the wonderful feeling of pulling the smoke across my lips and feeling it roll into my lungs. At that point, I started to realize that I was going to spend some time in the hospital, and I knew this might be the last butt I'd be able to have for awhile. I was also starting to feel more and more detached, which I thought was really nice but also pretty odd.

Cop 2 interrupted my serenity again. "Are you sure you weren't driving?"

"Do you think I'd freely and quickly admit to drinking if I was?"

WKC interrupted our discourse. "He's already been asked that three times now. Leave the guy alone." He was the definitely the cool cop. A cool cop is a great cop in my book. There are always a few assholes in any group, and the force is no exception.

The paramedics finally arrived, and GD's father also arrived on the scene. The paramedics were ready to board me up and put me in their joyride, but I had yet to finish my cig.

"Can you guys just let me finish this? I know I'm not going to be able to have one for awhile, so I'd really like to enjoy the last one for awhile."

"Uhhhh.....yeah, I guess that's ok."

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was, who knows, but all I wanted was to enjoy it, and people kept interrupting me. It seemed as if my request had paused the entire scene, perhaps because my audacity in light of the situation was significant. Cops, GD, and the paramedics are all standing around, waiting for me to finish. I was like the Godfather, except not at all.

"Alright," I said as I put my butt out, "I'm ready to roll."

"You're tough, ain't ya kid?"

"Nah, I just have needs."

Out came the board. With some maneuvering, they got me on, strapped down and stabilized. Up into the ambulance I went. I think the paramedic messed up my IV and GD's father popped his head in, but I was really starting to get foggy at this point. It's still just a jumble of images in my mind until I wound up at the hospital.

Apparently, the whole party had pretty much come to the hospital. People started crying and freaking out when they pulled me out on the stretcher, strapped to the board. I was trying to tell everyone it was just procedure, but that didn't seem to be much consolation. I guess people thought that the accident really was very minor, and it was a little shocking. My parents apparently arrived afterwards and saw everyone crying and started to really panic and freak out when they heard I was on the board.

They wheeled me into the E.R. to find out exactly what happened. The night was merely young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home