Friday, July 16, 2004

By Request...

Raven and Shadow>



Well, these are my girls.  Raven is the black one on the left, and Shadow is the yellow one on the right.  I took this today for everyone after the three of us had played frisbee for an hour or so.
 
Fun little tidbit: The girls love to play frisbee/catch.  Since Shadow is the older one, she tends to bully Raven a little when it comes to making catches or retrievals by land.  However, I have a pool in the backyard, and Shadow has never gone in it.  I got her from a pet store at 4 months, and I think that perhaps she had some trauma with a pool.  She'll swim at the beach though.
 
Raven, however, is a freak for the water.  You would never guess it seeing her.  She's very relaxed, and loves to cuddle up on the couch with me whenever she's allowed.  But when something goes in the water, she leaps in after it.  I'm talking she'll clear 10 feet of water before even hitting.  It's amazing and really graceful.  She then passes it to Shadow (whom I often call Shads) and Shadow brings it the rest of the way to me.  One by land and one by sea.
 
Recently, Raven suprised the hell out of me.  I was teaching them both frisbee, which took all of 30 minutes, and started throwing it in the pool for Raven.  Although this thing is made to float, it can sink a bit before it pops to the surface.  I watched her pick her head up in the water, and dive down into the water.  Her tail sticks out and actually goes under with her.  She proceeds to paddle down.  Today she went under for a good 10 seconds before coming up with the thing.  Didn't even choke.  It boggles my mind.
 
For those of you that don't know, dogs don't do this.  They're pretty boyant, so it takes work to do that.  But Raven is such a good swimmer I can hang onto her tail and she'll drag me from the deep end to the stairs, with no effort, and she's only a 80 lb. dog.
 
Anyway, just thought I'd share.  Sorry if I'm being a wee bit too proud, I can't help it. :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home